scooters scooters scooters 50cc moped 125cc moped 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-moped scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home 50cc Scooters 125cc Scooters 125cc Motorcycles Guides Electric Moped Insurance About Finance FAQ Affiliates Contact Terms

What do I Need To Ride a 125cc Moped?

What do I Need To Ride a 125cc Moped?

intending to buy a new 125cc moped from Direct Bikes? then you are not alone. We are one of the leading companies in the UK for a 125cc moped to be bought from. However, one thing that we often need to deal with is customers who aren’t sure what kind of license they need to ride a moped. If you would like to go ahead and start riding at a 125cc level, then you are going to need some very particular forms of license. So, what do I need to ride a 125cc moped? Let us tell you!

You need to be at least the age of 17

One thing that many don’t know is that you have an age limit as to when you can ride a 125cc moped. At the age of 16, you are limited to the 50cc level of moped no matter what license you actually hold. This is your limit, so please don’t try and break the rules on this.

Riding at age 17, though, would mean that you can go for something larger. This means that you could apply to start riding a 125cc moped.

You need at least a provisional driving license

If you are the age of 17 and you have your provisional driving license, you are on the right track. With a provisional driving license, you can start riding a light motorcycle or moped up to a 125cc engine. However, you are not allowed to carry a passenger, drive without your L plates, or go on the motorway. That’s something to keep in mind as you go through the various necessities that you need.

However, you also need to go and get a particular form of riding training. What do you need?

You need to pass your CBT

You will now have to go and complete your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) exam. This is going to take you a day or two, and it will prove that you have the mettle and the skills to handle riding a motorcycle/moped. Once you have your CBT, you can then either apply for your provisional as listed above, or you can go for a full riding license.

We recommend that you take the time to work out what would be more suited to you. Please note, though, that full license holders must complete a CBT beforehand.

You need the right license

If you wish to drive in full without restrictions (like L plates, passengers, and motorways) then you need the right license. From age 17-19, you could go for an A1 license. This allows you to drive your 125cc moped to its full potential. From age 19-24, you could apply for your A2 license. This is the next step up, and gives you even more control over how you use your bike.

Either at age 21 with two years of A2 experience or at age 24, you could apply for you’re A license. This is an unrestricted license that allows you to ride far beyond just a 125cc moped.

Not sure what is the right choice for you? No problem at all. Come and speak to the team at Direct Bikes, and we can make sure that you get to pick the right license for your own personal needs. We’ll make sure you can start riding a 125cc moped from our store in no time!

Check Out Other Questions: