scooters scooters scooters 50cc moped 125cc moped 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-moped scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home 50cc Scooters 125cc Scooters 125cc Motorcycles Guides Electric Moped Insurance About Finance FAQ Affiliates Contact Terms

Can You Drive a 50cc Moped With Just a Provisional?

Can You Drive a 50cc Moped With Just a Provisional?

For anyone who is thinking of getting a 50cc moped from Direct Bikes, you will have many options. We have a great many mopeds to pick from, especially in our 50cc range of mopeds. However, the main problem you might have when choosing a 50cc moped is making the right choice. The main query that you are likely to have is going to come down to when you drive a 50cc moped. If you are someone who holds only a provisional driving license, you might find it hard to work out your rights. So, can you drive a 50cc moped with just a provisional?

Let’s take a look, because the answer can be quite confusing. If you would like to find out what to do if you want to solve this, you need to read on through the below. This will help you to work out what you can (and cannot) do with your 50cc moped.

The main thing with riding a moped is that your license requirements change drastically from a 50cc to 125cc moped. For those who are aiming to buy or ride a 50cc, though, you need to understand how this works.

Can you drive a 50cc moped with just a provisional?

The one thing you will find with a 50cc moped is that you can ride it with just a provisional driving license. To do this, though, you have to go and pass your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). The CBT exam will take a lot of work, and it will be something you need to study for. However, the test itself (and the theory test) should only take you 1-2 days to get through.

This will give you the opportunity that you need to start riding. If you want to ride a 50cc moped, then you need to have your CBT and your provisional driving license. Your CBT, though, is going to come with some limits. These include:

  • You are not allowed to exceed a top speed of 28mph on any vehicle registered after 2004.
  • You are not allowed to carry any kind of passenger on the back of your 50cc moped.
  • Nor can you go on the motorway; this is something that we cannot recommend at 50cc.
  • You should also not take off your L plates until you can get your full driving license.

However, if you are the owner of a full car driving license then you only need to sit your CBT. Once you pass your CBT, then you could drive a 50cc moped without the need to wear L plates. With only a provisional, though, you would need to go and complete your CBT and then your theory.

We recommend that you contact us today if you are in any way unsure about which 50cc moped to go and buy. We know that it can be tough to pick, so let us give you some information that could help you to make a better choice. All that you need to do is let us know what license(s) you hold today, and we can help you make the right pick.

Check Out Other Questions: