scooters scooters scooters 50cc moped 125cc moped 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-moped scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home 50cc Scooters 125cc Scooters 125cc Motorcycles Guides Electric Moped Insurance About Finance FAQ Affiliates Contact Terms

Can I Ride a 50cc Moped On My Car Licence?

Can I Ride a 50cc Moped On My Car Licence?

Are you interested in getting a 50cc moped from Direct Bikes? Then first off you want to make sure you can ride it. Many people will buy into a moped, only to find out that they lack the ability to drive the bike with their license. So, if you have been wondering ‘Can I ride a 50cc moped on my car license?’ then let us show you the answer. The answer, in truth, comes down to when you were able to get your car license. That changes what your driving limits and your capabilities are going to be.

Can I ride a 50cc moped on my car license?

So, the main thing that comes into the thinking here isn’t what kind of license you hold, per se. It’s actually to do with what kind of vehicle license registration date you have. For example, when did you go ahead and pass your license?

If you were someone who passed their driving license before the 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc mopedwith your car license. You could do so without having to put on any kind of L plates, too, which is nice. However, if you wish to go above a 50cc moped, such as one of our 125cc scooters, then you can find that you need to go and get  CBT license. This is not so hard to do, though; you just need to pass the CBT license and get your practical.

If you wish to start riding something with a higher engine than a 50cc, then, you have to go and get your car license. This is going to give you the help that you need to really understand when you can start riding. Please note that if you do wish to exceed 50cc then you will need to wear your L plates. This only changes when you get the practical test completed to get your full bike riding license.

What if I passed after 1st February 2001?

If you were someone who completed their driving license and got it after 1st February 2001, you have different rules. You would be allowed to ride a moped with a 50cc engine in it without having to wear your L plates, same as the situation above. So, if you want to know if you can ride your 50cc with just a driving license, then you can.

However, you will have to wear your L plates until you can pass your full moped license. Please keep that in mind. To get your full moped license, though, you only need to get your full car driving license (which you already have) and also complete a CBT course. Once you have passed that CBT course, you could ride without your L plates on a 50cc moped.

This can seem quite confusing, so feel free to contact us at Direct Bikes. Tell us your own personal circumstance, and we can help you to work out what would be the ideal choice for you in terms of driving legally on your moped.

Check Out Other Questions: