scooters scooters scooters 50cc scooter 125cc scooter 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-scooter scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home 50cc Scooters 125cc Scooters 125cc Motorcycles Guides Electric Scooters Insurance About Finance FAQ Affiliates Contact Terms

Riding A Moped

Riding A Moped

  1. Riding A Moped
  2. Riding A Moped Panther
  3. Riding A Moped Retro
  4. Riding A Moped Tommy
  5. Riding A Moped Milan
  6. Riding A Moped Scorpion
  7. Riding A Moped Spyder
  8. Riding A Moped Spyder 125cc
  9. Riding A Moped Milan 125cc
  10. Riding A Moped Python
  11. Riding A Moped Scorpion 125cc
  12. Riding A Moped Tommy 125cc
  13. Riding A Moped Cruiser

For anyone thinking about riding a moped, you have many choices to pick from. At Direct Bikes, we know that the hardest part of getting a quality ride is choosing the right model. With so many vehicles in the moped category to pick from, you might not be sure where to start. Before you go ahead and buy a moped, though, you should make sure that you know what you need to be allowed to start riding.

Before riding a scooter, then, you will need to make sure you can showcase some, or all, of the following details.

Proof of your age

You have to first show that you are at the very least the age of sixteen. At age sixteen, you have the right to ride a 50cc moped. This is the smallest (besides 49cc) engine class that you can ride on the roads of the UK with. They are road legal and come with a top speed of 30 miles per hour. For a young rider aged sixteen, this is a fine place to start learning on.

You will need to be able to show that you are at least sixteen to be legally permitted to ride a moped, though.

Proof of CBT

You also need to go and pass your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). Your CBT is an essential part of learning about riding a moped. Without owning your CBT, you might find it impossible to go and take on any other license.

Indeed, even a provisional driving license would need you to have your CBT if you wished to start riding a bike. If you are intending about getting a moped/bike, then be sure to book in for your CBT. You can pass this and get certified for up to two years at CBT level riding.

CBT limits

Please note, though, that riding a scooter on your CBT is not like riding a moped on the below licenses. With a CBT, you are not allowed to do the following:

  • Carry a passenger on the back of your moped.
  • Ride on the road without taking your L plates off.
  • Exceed a top speed of 28 miles per hour at any time.
  • Drive on the motorways; a 50cc is simply not strong enough for the motorway.

If you can stick to the above rules, though, you should be very much likely to enjoy riding your moped on a CBT.

Your provisional driving license (at least)

Next, you need to show that you hold at least some form of driving license. For most riders aged sixteen, you could get away with using a standard provisional license.

Please note that if you have a full car driving license and/or a provisional car driving license, you don’t need another provisional. Either your full or provisional driving license is enough to pass. It would not give you any more or less rights on the road as someone using their CBT with a provisional license.

What if I want more?

Want to get more out of riding? We understand. For any of the mopeds on sale at Direct Bikes, you need only pass one of two major driving tests. These are your AM and your A1 driving exams. If you can pass both theory and practical exams, then you should be permitted to get even more out of your moped.

On a CBT and a provisional, though, you are likely to have problems taking your moped to its limit. In terms of speed and location limits, you would need to get one of your AM/A1 driving licenses.

Obtaining your AM license

The first ‘full’ driving license available to a young rider is that of your AM license. This is available from age 16, and it could be the best license to go for. If you are intending on riding a moped at 50cc, for example, this is the best license for you.

While you would need your A1 plus to drive above a 50cc moped, your AM license allows you to make some very important changes. For one, you would be allowed to take off your L plates and it would allow you to bring a pillion passenger on the back of your moped.

That’s very important to note, as many people are not aware of that. Just note that you cannot go on the motorway, even with an AM license. At no stage is driving a 50cc moped on the motorway going to be permitted or legal.

Obtaining your A1 license

Your A1 license is what you will need if you wish to get a 125cc scooter. These are the go-to choice for many riders as they offer a simple and easy way to make sure you can drive at 60mph. Available from age 17 and above, you could get your A1 license if you have shown that you can pass both exams.

This would give you permission to go on the motorway and to also take a pillion passenger on the back. You could also hit a top speed of 60mph and also you could take off those L plates. For most riders, this is the logical next step to go to if you are looking for a license for your 125cc moped.

If you want to get the most out of it, then you should take a look at our mopeds available for sale at Direct Bikes.

Top quality mopeds

Thinking about riding a moped? Then come and see our wares at Direct Bikes. We will make sure that you can get the best mopeds to help you stay on the right road. Simply tell us which license(s) you hold, and you can get the help that you need to make a smart choice on your moped selection.

With 125cc and 50cc mopeds available starting at only £999, we make buying mopeds both fun and affordable. So, why not come and take a look at our varied selection?

If you like the idea of riding a scooter, you will love what we have for sale for you here. You’ll be sure to find something suited to the kind of riding that you intend to do!


Check Out Other Pages: