scooters scooters scooters 50cc scooter 125cc scooter 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-scooter scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home50cc Scooters125cc Scooters125cc MotorcyclesGuidesElectric ScootersInsuranceAboutFinanceFAQAffiliatesContactTerms

Motorcycles 125cc

Motorcycles 125cc

Anyone thinking about a motorbike has a lot of things to think about when they make their decision. As fundamentally hard vehicles to buy, getting a bike can be tough work. It’s one of the main reasons why you can find it hard to invest in a bike that you are happy with. The main thing that you want to know when you buy a bike, though, is how safe it is to drive. After all, what is the point in buying a bike if you do not feel safe in the drivers seat?

That’s when you are looking at motorcycles, you should always look at the engine power. For example, most people will be happy to buy motorcycles 125cc and below. The reason why is quite simple – they are safe to drive.

How fast can a 125cc bike go?

The reason why most will be happy to get a 125cc bike comes down to their impressive driving style. Buy a 125cc bike, and you buy something that can easily hit speeds of 60-70mph. For those who are not used to driving, that kind of speed can be more than enough to give you total comfort as you drive. Also add in the fact that 60/70mph is usually fast enough for just about any kind of legal driving you can do in the UK, and it’s more than fast enough for you to use if you are going on the roads.

That, though, is the question – how can you use a bike like this on the roads? What do you need to do?

First, you need to get a provisional driving license

Do you have a provisional motorcycle driving license? If not, you need to get one. Even if you have a car driving license, you will need to go and get your provisional biking license. To do that, you need to go to your local post office and ask for the provisional driving license form for motorcycles.

They will provide you with the form that you need. This form can take some time to fill out, so we recommend doing so in a comfortable location. You can then fill out the form and take your time adding in all of the details that you are asked for. So long as you take your time and you do this slowly, you should find it quite easy to follow the instructions on the form.

Before you send it away, though, get some photographic ID. Your provisional will need some kind of ID on it, and this is why you should look to get a photo. You can normally take a photo in the Post Office. Then, you need to send it away along with your fee for the DVLA – this is normally around £34, but we recommend checking with the Post Office prior to sending it away.

This will give you a clear idea of how much you are expected to pay. What now?

You need to pass your CBT

The next step on the path here is to go and pass your CBT examination. Your CBT is the Compulsory Basic Training. If you wish to learn how to drive motorcycles 125cc and below, you MUST take this exam. Note that you are not allowed to take your CBT until you have passed the age of 16.

Once you are allowed to take your CBT, you need to turn up and sit down to take the examination on. This will be both theoretical and practical, so we recommend reading into a guide on how to pass your CBT so that you know what to research prior to turning up.

If you do this, then you should be able to pass your CBT without too much issue. Yes, it might take you a full day – maybe even two – but you will get there. By passing your CBT, you then have a two-year window whereby you can step in and take part in driving on the roads. This will allow you to take the vehicle on some roads, but not all. For example, you cannot take your bike onto the motorway. You also cannot have a passenger on the back of your bike.

Should you wish to break those rules, then you would have to go and pass your full driving license. If you try to have a passenger and/or go on the motorway with just your CBT, it will most likely be revoked.

Can I drive my 125cc bike on the road?

Yes, you can. Once you have your provisional and you have passed your CBT, you are fully legitimately allowed on the roads on the United Kingdom. Given that your bike can likely hit speeds as high as 70mph, you can easily drive on the road without a great deal of stress.

This should allow you to go about the roads and enjoy your driving experience. You will get to have more fun in general, too, as you will have the knowledge you need. The CBT is an essential part of getting you road-ready. Once you have gone on the road, you will feel very much safe driving around the place due to the skills you have been taught during your examination.

That is why we always recommend that you take a look at getting a 125cc bike as soon as you can. If you wish to get a taste of driving on the roads, the speed of a 125cc bike should give you more than enough excitement. It’s a good rush, and it will be a good learning experience for you from a beginners perspective.

You should have no problem at all in making sure you can drive around with conviction with your CBT education. However, just remember that this is only ‘basic’ training – you have to be responsible on the roads. Take the time to master your 125cc motorcycle, though, and you’ll have the most tremendous time when driving around the UK. As ever, just make sure you have all of the regulations that you need to go on the road – including a fully taxed, insured, and MOT-passed 125cc motorcycle!