scooters scooters scooters 50cc scooter 125cc scooter 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-scooter scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home 50cc Scooters 125cc Scooters 125cc Motorcycles Guides Electric Scooters Insurance About Finance FAQ Affiliates Contact Terms

Moped Test

Moped Test

  1. Moped Test
  2. Moped Test Panther
  3. Moped Test Retro
  4. Moped Test Tommy
  5. Moped Test Milan
  6. Moped Test Scorpion
  7. Moped Test Spyder
  8. Moped Test Spyder 125cc
  9. Moped Test Milan 125cc
  10. Moped Test Python
  11. Moped Test Scorpion 125cc
  12. Moped Test Tommy 125cc
  13. Moped Test Cruiser

Planning on taking a moped test anytime soon? Then you are making a very wise choice. Today, riding a moped around the UK can be a much more enjoyable choice than driving a car. Riding feels much more personal to you, and thus can be a far more enjoyable experience overall. However, before you could take access of one of our mopeds at Direct Bikes, you need to make sure that you can ride it!

At the moment, there are a few forms of test that you need to know about. Let’s take at the key tests you need to pass.

Every rider needs Compulsory Basic Training

The first and most important moped examination that you are going to need to take is your CBT. The CBT is the most fundamental learning that you will do when it comes to learning how to ride a moped. Without this crucial test, you likely cannot go any further in your training to be a rider. There are very few exceptions as to when you wouldn’t need to take on the CBT test, so keep that in mind.

Taking your CBT is easy, and it’s not something that you can pass or fail. You simply have to turn up and show that you can handle the instructions provided. This is the exam that you need to take before you could go and get any other kind of moped licence. Without this test out of the way, you can’t really progress further.

Exceptions to the rule

However, please note that if you are the owner of a full driving licence then you might be exempt. The only time that this is the case, though, is if you passed your driving test before the 1st February 2001. If you were able to pass prior to 2001, you will benefit from not having to pass your CBT. You would be entitled to ride any 50cc scooters for sale at Direct Bikes.

However, if you wished to step it up and ride one of our 125cc scooters for sale then you would need to take your CBT. The only exemption to needing your CBT to progress further is the rule above. And it only applies to our 50cc mopeds. Keep that in mind, then. With your CBT, though, you would get some crucial knowledge to help you become a better rider. Even if you don’t need it, we recommend taking it on.

What other forms of moped test do I need to take?

So, the next thing you need to work out is what kind of license that you have. With your CBT, you would be allowed to start riding a moped so long as you are the age 16 or above. At age 17, you could start riding a 125cc moped. You must always keep your L plates on, and you are not allowed to break a top speed of 28mph, take a passenger onboard, or go on the motorway.

To get around those rules, you need to go and get one of two different moped licences. These would mean passing both a practical and a theoretical moped test. If you can pass these tests, though, you could go and gain one of the following two licences. These are essential to progressing to being a full driver.

The AM moped licence

The first licence that you could get that would need you to pass a scooter test would be the AM licence. Your AM licence is something you can take from age 16, and it allows you to ride your 50cc moped in full. It would mean that you could bring a passenger onboard and you could also take off your L plates.

The only thing that an AM licence would not permit you to do is go on the motorway. No matter what licence you hold, taking a 50cc moped on the motorway is not allowed. So, keep that in mind if you are making a choice on our various mopeds at Direct Bikes. If you think that you would need to go on the motorway on a regular basis, you might wish to step up and get a higher brand of moped licence.

The A1 test

Your A1 test is available from age 17, and it’s the most important moped test you can take. It’s the path that allows you to become a ‘full’ driver. Why?

Simply put, your A1 opens up more roads. You can now ride at a top speed of 60mph on your 125cc moped. You can also pick up a passenger and you can take off those L plates. Most importantly, though, it would permit you to head out on the motorways of the UK.

For those aged 19+, you could instead take your A2 licence. This allows you to ride something even more powerful than 125cc. For a moped from Direct Bikes, though, the most that you would need is your A1 licence. All of our mopeds and bikes stop at 125cc, so your A1 should be more than suitable to help you start driving today.

What moped test should I take?

That can be a tough question to answer. We typically recommend that anyone who is still new to moped riding should look to get their CBT and their provisional licence. Once you hold these, you could go and take your practical and theoretical tests. It will give you the chance to get your AM and/or A1 licence. Please note that if you hold your A1, you don’t need to go and get your AM licence.

If you need help at all in planning and preparing for your moped exams, then contact us today. We can help you to work out what information you need so that you can take the right test. Our aim is to make sure you can buy a moped from us and start riding it as soon as is possible. So, why not take a look at our mopeds? It might just inspire you to book in for your test!

Check Out Other Pages: