scooters scooters scooters 50cc moped 125cc moped 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-moped scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home 50cc Scooters 125cc Scooters 125cc Motorcycles Guides Electric Moped Insurance About Finance FAQ Affiliates Contact Terms

How To Get a Provisional Licence For a Moped?

How To Get a Provisional Licence For a Moped?

Are you thinking about buying a moped? Then you have to make sure that you can ride it first. At Direct Bikes, we tend to be the first port of call for many riders experienced and inexperienced. With the tremendous starting prices of our mopeds, we make a fine place for any rider to buy from. However, before you go ahead and head to the checkout to complete your purchase, what can you ride?

After all, riding a moped is a bit different to riding anything else. It means making sure you can show that you can handle the safety expected of you on the road. This means showing that you have the skills to earn your full license. To do that, you are going to need to get your provisional license. What, though, is the best way how to get a provisional license for a moped?

It’s a little confusing at first, but we’ll break down the path you need to go down below. This should really help you to pick up the right provisional license for the best price. What, then, are the steps you need to get a provisional license?

How to get a provisional license for a moped

To get a provisional license, it’s the same as if you were going to get one for your car. If you already own a provisional license for a car, or a full car driving license, then you do not need a provisional for your moped. What you would then need is your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) to show you can handle riding a moped. The first thing you have to get, though, is your provisional driving license. To get your provisional, you need to be able to show two skills:

  • You can read a number plate from a distance of 20metres.
  • You can prove that you are at least the age of 15 years, 9 months.

Once you can show the two skills above, you can apply for your license. You can do this either online through the DVLA website, or you can do so through your local post office. Doing it online, though, is quicker, easier, and actually cheaper. You can save around £9-10 if you do it online as opposed to doing it offline.

Applying online will cost you £34, and it can be paid with various electronic payment options. To apply for your provisional, you need to provide the following information:

  • Your National Insurance Number (if you have it).
  • Your previous living addresses for the last 3 years.
  • A form of identity, such as your UK passport.

Once you have applied, you’ll receive confirmation (usually via email) to say your application has been received. Your license should then arrive within a period of 1-2 weeks, depending on how you applied. Once you do that, and you go and get your CBT license, you could start riding a 50cc moped as soon as you get your CBT.

Get your provisional sorted first, though, and you are well on the way to becoming a rider.

Check Out Other Questions: