scooters scooters scooters 50cc moped 125cc moped 125cc motorcycles 125cc motorbikes 125cc-motorbike electric-moped scooter-insurance scooter-finance motorbike-finance
Home 50cc Scooters 125cc Scooters 125cc Motorcycles Guides Electric Moped Insurance About Finance FAQ Affiliates Contact Terms

50cc Road Bikes Legal

50cc Road Bikes Legal

  1. 50cc Road Bikes Legal
    colours1 Colour
    125cc Thunderblade Motorcycle


    £85 /month* klarna
  2. 125cc Assassin Motorcycle
    colours1 Colour
    125cc Assassin Motorcycle


    £111 /month* klarna

For anyone looking to get into riding a moped today, one of the best places to begin is on a 50cc moped. At Direct Bikes, we have a fine range of high-end 50cc scooters that you can pick from right away. 50cc scooters are among the most popular vehicles in the UK, offering riders all the help that they need to learn how to ride. With our 50cc road bikes legal, we can give you access to the kind of vehicle that you could ride on the roads of the UK without issue.

Buying a 50cc road bike from Direct Bikes means you could start riding legally as soon as you get your correct licenses.

Are 50cc road bikes legal?

Yes, 100%. A 49cc/50cc moped is the lowest engine size that you can have and still legally ride on the roads. That’s why we always look to give you access to high end, easy to use 50cc road bikes. They are designed to give you an easy way to start riding without any stress. Not only that, but our road bikes are built for beginners as well as for more experienced riders.

Designed to be fully automatic, they give you the chance that you need to ride without having to change gears. This can give you all the support that you need to get on the road and driving without any confusion about road legally.

What age do I need to be to ride a 50cc road bike?

The minimum age for someone wishing to ride a 50cc road bike is going to be the age of 16. Once you are the age of 16, you can legally begin riding on a 50cc moped or road bike. You can buy these vehicles from our store directly. However, please note that simply being sixteen alone is not enough to start riding. You also need to go and get at the very least:

  • Your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) completed and finished.
  • Your provisional driving license.

Once you are the owner of both of these documents, you could legally start riding your road legal 50cc road bike. However, please note that this is also going to come with some limitations as to what you can and cannot do. If you want to know what you can do with a CBT and provisional combination, then read the next section.

CBT and provisional limits for 50cc road bikes legal

If you are driving solely with your CBT and your provisional license, then you cannot do any of the follow:

  • You cannot drive on the motorway (50cc road bikes are not motorway permitted).
  • You cannot drive with a passenger on the back of your 50cc road bike.
  • Nor can you take off your L plates at any given time.

You are also limited to a top speed of 28mph. At Direct Bikes, all of our 50cc road bikes are 100% road legal. If you are going to start riding a motorbike today, then, you need to make sure you have the right credentials. You can, though, get even more out of one of our 50cc bikes if you so choose.

To do that, though, you would need to go and obtain a higher standard of driving license. What, then, could you get?

What license lets me drive my 50cc to its maximum potential?

If you find the idea of not being able to go on the motorway and the like quite off-putting, that can change. To get the absolute maximum out of your 50cc road bike, you need to get what is known as your AM moped license. If you are over the age of 16, though, you could apply for your A1 license. This would give you the same benefits as an AM, with the opportunity to also ride a 125cc scooter to its maximum as well.

Going for your AM license, though, is highly recommended. You can do this from the age of 16+, and you would need to have passed your CBT beforehand. If you get your CBT and then pass your theory and practical for your AM, you can drive without any limits. This means no more L plates, no more 28mph speed cap, and no more pillion passenger bans.

The only thing you can’t do with an AM license is go on to the motorway!

Do I need to tax a road bike?

Yes, every 50cc petrol vehicle from Direct Bikes has to be taxed with the DVLA. However, you will be happy to know that to road tax a 50cc moped is only going to cost you £19!

With access to the DVLA website, you can log on and find out all the information that you need. This is going to help you tax your road bike with complete simplicity and get it all arranged in a few short days. However, we recommend that you get scooter insurance for your 50cc road bike sorted out before you do anything else. Without insurance, it can be harder to get your 50cc taxed and ready to ride.

How do I get a 50cc road bike from Direct Bikes?

To order from Direct Bikes, you don’t need to come to a showroom. You don’t have to go anywhere, in fact. All that you need to do is visit our website. Once there, you can go to our various 50cc road bikes legal.

There, you can then go through each bike profile and pick out the one which you feel is the most suited choice for you. That’s extremely useful for anyone who wants to make their purchase online. You can then complete the purchase by adding it to your cart and using our secure payment processing system.

We’ll then ask you where you want your road bike brought to. With delivery across the whole UK, we only need to know where you are. We’ll then factor in your choice of delivery (1 day or 3 days) into the overall cost of your purchase. Then, you simply need to confirm everything and wait for payment to be processed. Once it is, we’ll get your 50cc road-ready bike packaged up and ready to be delivered!


Check Out Other Pages: